Skip to main content

Meeting Minutes for December 20, 2023

Laguna Lakes
Community Development District

The regular meeting of The Board of Supervisors of the Laguna Lakes Community Development District was held at the Laguna Lakes Clubhouse, 15250 Lakes of Laguna Boulevard, Fort Myers, Florida and also via web conference on Wednesday, December 20, 2023.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Jonathan Busa – Chair
Paul Rumbold, Jr. – Vice Chair
Michelle Martel – Assistant Secretary
Mark Wessler – Assistant Secretary
Mike Cutler – Assistant Secretary

Also present were:

Cal Teague – District Manager, Premier District Management (PDM)
Melissa Gindling – Assistant District Manager, PDM

The following is a summary of the discussion and actions taken at the Laguna Lakes Community Development District (CDD) Board of Supervisors regular meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

Chair Busa called the meeting to order at 4:30 p.m. and all Board members were present. Also in attendance were Melissa Gindling, the Assistant District Manager, and Several Residents. Cal Teague, the District Manager, arrived at 4:48 p.m.

Chair Busa conducted the meeting.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

On MOTION by Supervisor Cutler, seconded by Supervisor Wessler, with all in favor, the Agenda was approved, as presented.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There were no Audience comments on Agenda items.


A. Items to be Pulled for Discussion

No Items were pulled.

B. Motion to Approve Consent Items

On MOTION by Supervisor Wessler, seconded by Supervisor Cutler with all in favor, the Board approved all of the Consent Items.

C. Consideration of Items Pulled for Discussion

D. Consent Items

i. Draft Regular Meeting Minutes for November 15, 2023

ii. Financial Statements for November 2023

iii. December Field Report

iv. Irrigation Work Orders Log

v. FEMA Reimbursement Update


A. Irrigation

i. Irrigation Pump Replacement and Monitoring Proposal

Supervisor Wessler stated that he, District Manager Teague and Assistant District Manager Gindling had a conference call with Aaron from Insight Irrigation and discussed the deficiencies of the current pump station. Aaron noted that some of the equipment was old, and did not have an adequate intake pipe, flow meters, or filter system, and he recommended a pump update and replacement. Supervisor Wessler presented Aaron’s proposal as a consultant for the new pump station. He stated that Insight Irrigation has not provided a proposal for monitoring yet, because they need to know what kind of pump station will be installed.

The Board discussed the need for a new pump station and noted that this seems to be a logical solution to many of the current irrigation issues. They also discussed the need for a professional monitoring system. It was noted that the installation of an upgraded pump station with increased pressure could result in blowouts.

On MOTION by Vice Chair Rumbold, seconded by Supervisor Cutler, with all in favor, the Board approved Insight Irrigation’s proposal to serve as a consultant on the installation of an upgraded pump station, not to exceed $5,000.

ii. Irrigation System Analysis Follow-up

This analysis proposal was presented at the last meeting, and the Board decided to remove it from the Agenda going forward.

iii. Irrigation Schedule Follow-up

Supervisor Cutler noted that it appears that there have been less work orders submitted since the last flush. He also noted that No Limit has addressed some of the ongoing clock issues. He stated that he has decided to stop logging decoders, because Insight Irrigation had informed them during their presentation at the last meeting, that a schedule could be developed as part of the monitoring program.

District Manager Teague arrived at the meeting during the discussion of the Irrigation Schedule.

In reference to the pump replacement, which was discussed earlier, District Manager Teague noted that the cost will need to be considered, and they may need to pursue a loan.

Assistant District Manager Gindling reported that No Limit still struggles with communication regarding the work orders, and there are still many work orders listed as “open” in the log. She suggested closing some of the older work orders from 2022 and earlier in 2023, since it appears the older issues have been fixed and there have been no further complaints at those addresses.

iv. Proposal for Irrigation Work Order Logging

Premier District Management’s (PDM) proposal of $325/month for work order logging was included in the packet, and District Manager Teague noted that this was a temporary service agreement. He stated that, if the Board proceeds with the monitoring program through Insight Irrigation, PDM’s workload will be greatly decreased, and this agreement can be cancelled. The Board approved this proposal.

On MOTION by Supervisor Cutler, seconded by Supervisor Wessler, with all in favor, the Board approved compensating Premier District Management for work order logging, not to exceed $325 per month.

v. Update on Additional Zones at 9250 Paseo De Valencia

District Manager Teague stated that they have asked No Limit for a proposal several times, but have not received a response as of yet. The Board suggested that, if No Limit will provide a verbal quote, Supervisor Wessler will review it and determine if it is reasonable. Assistant District Manager Gindling will then contact the homeowner to ensure that they are willing to cover the cost of the new sprinklers in their yard, and the CDD will cover the cost of the valve box.

B. Resident Request to Keep Plants in Swale Area

The Board had previously requested that Engineer McCleary survey this area, but he has not has been responsive to Field Manager Pepin’s requests. The Board asked District Manager Teague to follow up with Engineer McCleary, and also to advertise for a new Engineer for the District.


A. Landscaping Maintenance Agreements Between CDD and Community Associations

The current agreements were included in the packet for the Board’s review, and Chair Busa gave an overview of the history of these agreements. There was discussion concerning the slow response of the HOA landscapers, and Supervisor Wessler thought the scope of service could be more clearly defined. It was also noted that the lake maintenance standards originally created by the Board could be added as an addendum to the current agreement.

This issue was tabled until the next meeting for further review.


Field Manager Pepin’s report was in the packet, and there were no questions or comments.

A. Project Updates

i. Sod on Belleza Way

District Manager Teague reported that Field Manager Pepin has asked for a revised proposal from Terra Nova a number of times and has received no response. The Board asked District Manager Teague to follow up.

ii. Pine Straw Installation

District Manager Teague reported that the second trailer load was delivered on December 14, 2023, and the crew is planning to complete the installation by the end of the week. The Board noted that the project is looking good so far.

iii. Hardwood Pruning Update

District Manager Teague reported that this project is complete.


A. Supervisor Annual Ethics Training

An overview of training options was included in the packet. District Manager Teague stated that the completion of the training should be entered on the Form 1 each year, and the CDD can reimburse the costs for training, if the Board so desires. Staff is also researching the possibility of providing a training webinar.


Attorney Cohen had provided some recommendations for the upcoming resignation of Supervisor Rumbold and had also recommended that the Board delay an appointment until the January meeting.


There was no report from Engineer McCleary.

ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Consideration of Resignation of Supervisor Paul Rumbold Jr.

The Board accepted Supervisor Rumbold’s resignation, effective December 31, 2023, and thanked him for his service.

On MOTION by Supervisor Cutler, seconded by Chair Busa, with all in favor, the Board accepted the resignation of Supervisor Paul Rumbold Jr., effective December 31, 2023.

TWELFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Consideration as to Filling Vacant Position and the Appointment to Fill Vacant Seat #1

Chair Busa stated that, since the Attorney recommended delaying the appointment until the January 17th meeting, this item will be tabled. It was noted that two candidates have expressed interest so far.

THIRTEENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor Requests/Comments

Supervisor Wessler wished everyone a Merry Christmas, and others echoed the sentiment.

Supervisor Rumbold thanked everyone for a rewarding experience as a member of the Board. He also recommended Dennis Early as his replacement on the Board, because he has extensive experience with irrigation.

Chair Busa wished everyone a Merry Christmas and hopes everyone will have a productive year in 2024.


There were no comments from the Audience.


On MOTION by Vice Chair Rumbold, seconded by Supervisor Cutler, with all in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 5:14 p.m.

The Next Regular Meeting is January 17, 2024 at 4:30 p.m.

Chair/Vice Chair